The prompt from Sarah:
Think back about the last year. Write out a list of your top ten memories or highlights from the last year. What are the best standout memories? What do you cherish about last year? Why do these memories in particular stand out?
Bonus: thinking about this upcoming year, what will you have to do differently or new in order to make more memories like these?
- My science blog, The Quiet Branches got 9500 views in year 1.
- The blog also got asked and joined the SciLogs blog network.
- Consulted with a career coach & it was helpful!
- Started to learn statistics and the R language in earnest…still have a long way to go.
- Visited a friend in Florida that I’d never met in person before
- Organized a conference panel for a conference I didn’t even attend
- Submitted a paper for publication
- I got back to running regularly again.
- I did a lot of information interviews & think I want to transition to writing/editing/digital community/marketing area.
- I got to work with a friend of mine on a career survey of plant scientists.
Most of these stand out to me because most of them show organic growth. It feels like I did a lot after years of feeling stalled. I was clumsy and could have done better at a lot of these things on my list, but the fact I was willing to stumble and explore, even clumsily, feels big.
In this next year, there’s more to be done. Actually keeping up writing. Researching my posts better. Marketing the content better. Getting a new job. Excelling more at the one I have now. Running more.
And most importantly, taking care of myself and filling my life with people I care about more often.